Ezekiel Ulysses Falco, better known simply as Zeke, is a character of Steven Universe, is one of the titular character's two best friends (the other being Connie), and a member of the Crystal Gems.
An old childhood friend of Steven's who moved away from Beach City four years prior to the series, Zeke returns with his family halfway through the first season and rekindles his bond with Steven and some bonds with the other Crystal Gems, and even forms a friendship with Steven's other best friend Connie. Eventually deciding he wanted to help Steven and the Gems whenever danger arose, Zeke, already proficient in martial arts, took up combat training alongside Steven and Connie starting in "Sworn to the Sword" where he honed his skills in wielding a special spear-staff thanks to Pearl. Since then, Zeke has become a skilled warrior and often aids the Crystal Gems during times of conflict. He debuted in the episode "Beach Bros".
Zeke is a 13-year-old, boy of Italian-American decent. He is skinny and averagely muscular with white-skin, and unkempt jet black hair. From his debut to "Dewey Wins", Zeke's hair was upper-back length and with bangs, and he had vowed to never cut or change it for the last few years (as a way to emulate the hairstyle of his favorite anime character, Gotu, from DragonHeart Y). During the "Fallout" shorts which follow the aftermath of his and Connie's fallout with Steven in the aformentioned episode and prior to their reconciliation in "Kevin Party", he had his brother Lorenzo cut his hair down to ear-to-chin-length, also getting rid of all but one of his bangs.
In his debut, his attire consists of a white baseball cap that he wears backwards most of the time (only turning it forwards when he gets serious), a loose-fitting blue and white striped baseball jersey shirt, blue jeans, and white tennis shoes. In subsequent episodes, Zeke is often shown wearing a variety of light-colored, loose-fitting shirts, pants, and shorts, though always with the same white tennis shoes and baseball cap. Starting with "Kevin Party", Zeke begins wearing a variety of tight-fitting, dark-colored clothes and starts only wearing caps on occasion.
During combat training with the Gems, Zeke wears his white martial arts uniform, complete with his black belt. During his self-training, he wears the bottoms of his uniform, but remains shirtless.
In "", he has his hair re-styled and begins wearing it slicked back.
As of "" his hair has regrown to shoulder-length has and he occassionally ties it into a ponytail/mantail.
Similar to Connie, Zeke is intelligent, but unlike her (at first) is extroverted, excitable and always willing to jump into action. He is very loyal to those he calls his friends, especially Steven, whom he has known virtually their entire lives and refers to as his "beach brother" or "beach bro". He is also often laid-back and easy going, something of a truth seeker and adrenaline junkie, and originally aspires to be a stuntman, a daredevil or a professional MMA fighter someday.
However, Zeke can be serious when the occasion calls for it. When it comes to those who threaten his friends, however, Zeke will not hesitate to use force to protect them, including hostile Gems, Gem Monsters, and Gem Experiments ("Nightmare Hospital", "Alone at Sea", "Gem Hunt" and "Crack the Whip"); he will even threaten harm to those whom he ends up work with but does not trust, if they attempt to betray his trust or harm his friends or family. In all, Zeke puts family and friendships above all else, as shown in the fourth "Fallout" short, when he opts to break his vow to never cut his hair, and thus sacrifices his long, beloved "mane" in order to get himself and Connie into Kevin's party so they could finally patch things up with Steven.
Zeke can also get jealous easily and often act vindictive when he does, as shown in "Beach Bros", when he believes that Connie is ruining his dynamic with Steven and stealing him away from him, but is often quick to learn from his mistakes and apologize.
Zeke is also shown to be quite the jokester, often cracking jokes and making ironic puns whenever he sees the opportunity. He especially enjoys it when he manages to make people laugh at his spurs of comedy. This is especially true with Lapis, on whom he has a massive crush (which eventually evolves into a mutual love) since first sight, and is said to be one of the few people who can make her smile or laugh when she is feeling down. He even gives her a locket with his and her pictures and a charming joke inside (via delivery by Steven) as special gift in "Gem Harvest" and is later deeply heartbroken in the second "Aftermath" short when Steven & Peridot reveal that she threw it away before fleeing into space with the Barn in "Raising the Barn".
As adept as he is as a friend and a fighter, Zeke is also prone to bouts of high pride and overconfidence. However, he is willing to humble and concede himself to someone else, if he feels they make more sense than he does at the current moment. This is displayed when he attempts to take on Jasper head-to-head twice and fails; the first time in "Alone at Sea", he loses and is nearly killed as a result when she knocks him unconscious and overboard into the ocean where he almost drowns until he is saved by Lapis, and the second time, in "Gem Hunt", he, alongside Connie, freezes in battle against Jasper and two Corrupted Gems. Following these failures, Zeke humbles himself and puts his trust in his friends, and with them is finally able to defeat Jasper in "Crack the Whip". Another example of this is in "Kevin Party" when, after getting somewhat justifiably mad at Connie for lying to him and keeping the two of them from going over to Steven to talk just because she got scared, Zeke boasts that he was calm and already knew what he was going to say to Steven, but is unable to get the words out when Connie presses him on what that was; he eventually swallows his pride and admits that he was scared just as she and Steven were.
Zeke can also be quick to call someone out when he knows that they're wrong, and even lecture them if possible, as shown in "The New Crystal Gems", when he helps Connie lecture Lapis and Peridot for trying to emulate the Crystal Gems so much encouraging them be themselves and organized their efforts to fix the damage they did (this also serves as a display of leadership skills as well), and in "Dewey Wins", when he, along with Connie, calls Steven out for surrendering Homeworld and breaking both their pacts as a team and others that he and Steven had made as younger kids, and later gives him a harsh lecture over brushing off their feelings and the situation as a whole, before leaving with an equally angry Connie and Lion.
Zeke can also act as emotional support when needed as shown in "Mindful Education" when he helps Steven and Connie face suppressed emotions from past tragedies, in the final "Fallout" short when he comforts Connie over Steven ignoring and shunning them for the entirety of Kevin's party, trying to assure her that it's not all her fault, and that there could be other factors in play.
"Dewey Wins" displays something of an emotionally vulnerable side and a sense of integrity for Zeke, as while he, along with Connie, is genuinely happy to have Steven back, both are deeply hurt by Steven's choice to give himself up to Homeworld, thus leaving the two of them and everyone else worried over his fate, while also breaking his promise to them that they would always be a team. They become even more upset when Steven tries to downplay the situation and disregards their feelings (possibly to avoid facing his own, as well as the harsh reality of the situation for the time being), and, after Zeke gives him a sharp lecture over this, both of them decide to take some time away from him in order for the three of them to process their respective feelings about the incident alone, remaining silent towards Steven and struggling with each other over how to reconcile with him for several weeks, until they finally do so in "Kevin Party". Another part of his emotionally vulnerable side is shown in the second "Aftermath" short, when after learning about Lapis' abandonment of Earth and her harsh break-up with him in absentia in the process (including throwing away the locket he gave her), Zeke collapses in heartbroken tears; he does so again in "Can't Go Back", when after a brief reunion with Lapis, she flees again after Steven has a vision about the Diamonds.
Starting with "Kevin Party", Zeke displays a much more mature side of himself: like Connie, he sports a new shorter haircut (that he got along with her just the day before the start of the episode's events), though he intends to regrow his beloved "mane", and begins dressing in darker-colored and tighter-fitting clothes (which he previously hated), and becomes somewhat less easy-going, laid-back, and prideful, and begins taking a more serious approach on matters regarding Homeworld and the Gem conflicts, though he still knows how and when to take it easy, joke around, and have fun.
The aformentioned episode and the "Fallout" shorts also show how persistent Zeke can be in his goals; this is shown when thoughout the shorts (particularly the fourth, fifth, and seventh ones), he continuously goes for the fast, straight-to-the-point approach to solving his and Connie's problems with trying to see and reconcile with Steven (including (arguably) his decision to break his vow to never cut his hair), and stubbornly and continuously shooting down and refusing to fully hear out her ideas simply for involving taking things slow or some sort of delay; as such, this ends up causing him to come off as narrow-minded and insensible in Connie's view. This all cuminates to the point when, after the two see Steven at the party, Zeke desires to go straight over to and finally reconcile with him right then and there, but Connie, who is panicking just as much as Steven is and feels that she and Zeke (whom she correctly suspects is panicking as well) both need more time to calm themselves down before talking to him, but is also distrustful of Zeke's capability to consider her feelings and suggestions about what to do due to his repeated insensibility towards her for the last several weeks, and not wanting to clash with him over it, ends up lying to him to keep them both socializing with the other guest to buy more time for them to calm down. When Connie later confesses this to him and Steven, Zeke, feeling manipulated, becomes very angry at her for, in his view, making the situation worse, until Connie gets him to realize and admit that he was just as scared as she and Steven were, and that he brought being lied to upon himself for being so insensible towards Connie and her ideas on how to deal with their situation.
"Reunited" shows how far Zeke has grown as both a fighter and an emotional supporter. When Steven and the rest of the Crystal Gems are incapacitated by Blue Diamond's pathokinesis attack, he leaps into action along with Connie and tries to attack Blue Diamond along with her and Lion to free them. While the attack ultimately fails, and results in his half of his Electro-Spear Staff and her sword's blade being broken, he continues to fight alongside the rest of the Gems with the other half of the staff. Later, after Steven is knocked unconscious by Yellow Diamond and finds himself on an abstract plane, Zeke and Connie frantically try to wake him, reminding him via their thoughts of their reconstituted promise to always be a team and that they won't allow Steven to let them down again. When Steven, who is on an abstract spiritual plane, communicates with Zeke and Connie, they both agree to watch over his body while he tries to talk the Diamonds down from there.
"Together Alone" further cements Zeke's maturity, as while he feels stifled by Homeworld's strict regualtions and traditions just like the others, he does his best to remain respectful towards the Diamonds for the sake of their mission, even having to keep Jax in line several times when his brother takes offense to Blue Diamond's condecending attitude. However, he is still open to breaking rules also is shown when after comforting Steven, he encourages him to dance with Connie, and after the two accidentally cause an uproar by fusing, stands with them alongside Jax and the Crystal Gems.
"Change Your Mind" shows Zeke's brave, headstrong side of his personality become come full front, as he, along with Jax, helps to rescue the poofed Crystal Gems, and convince Blue and Yellow Diamond to drop their perfectionist way of life and be themselves for who they are, and convince White Diamond, and participates in the battle against White, during which he receives his newly repaired and upgraded Electro Spear Staff back from Bismuth in the process. He also shows his protectiveness of Steven as shown when he and Connie fight of a mind-controlled Pearl together in the process, and helps Steven reunite with his gem when White Diamond removes it.
- Martial Arts/Hand-to-Hand Combat: Having trained in martial arts (both traditional and mixed) since he was six, Zeke is capable of holding his own in a fight with his hands and feet as shown in his fight with several men who'd threatened Connie in Beach Bros, and his battles alongside Steven and Connie in "Nightmare Hospital", "Gem Hunt", and "Crack the Whip", and with Steven in "Alone at Sea". He is also trained in use of a bo staff, which allows him to wield his gem weapon, a spear staff similar to that of Pearl with a spear on one end and an electro-taser like orb on the other end, with relative ease.
- Tag-Team/Trio Battling: Due to the close bond he shares with them, Zeke can coordinate his staff fighting techniques perfectly with Steven's shield techniques and Connie's swordplay, such as fighting back-to-back with them to defend and attack simultaneously or flinging opponents using his hands or his spear staff at them for a powerful attack.
- Bare Strength/Heightened Reflexes: The combination of his previous marital arts training and his new combat training, as well as training on his own time, have left Zeke a strong and reflexive individual, to the point of becoming muscular, and to where he can draw his weapon with heightened speed.
- Intellect: Despite often his laid back personality, Zeke is very intelligent and insightful, and is an A-and-B student at his school. He is often a problem solver giving out advice to others at his school, and even to Steven, Connie, and the Gems too.
- Sketch Art: One of Zeke's favorite hobbies is sketching, though this is highly unknown to most. He often sketches the people and things he cares about the most, such as his family, Steven, Connie, the Gems, and especially Lapis.
- Electro Spear-Staff: Following the events of "Sword to the Sword", Zeke recieves a customized spear staff similar to that of Pearl's with a spear head similar to Pearl's on one end and an electro-taser-like orb on the other end. The weapon has an extended length of Pearl's spear and is magically retractable on both ends, allowing him to carry it on a belt, and draw it with ease. It can also be used to blast electric charges from both ends. Zeke wields the weapon like a bo staff and has become highly skilled in wielding it, using it in every battle, and every sparring match with Steven and Connie. In "Reunited," the spear half of the weapon is destroyed by Blue Diamond along with the blade of Rose's Sword; however, the Electro-Orb half remains intact and operational, and Zeke continues to wield it during the battle against Blue Diamond, using it to blast electrical charges at her from all over. By "Change Your Mind", the weapon has been repaired and given an engraving of a star on the orb, as well as upgrades that utilize the elemental powers of fire, water, ice, earth, and air by Bismuth.
Click here for the full history of Zeke Falco.
Zeke first meet Steven when both were three years old, and Greg had booked a musical gig at Zeke's family restaurant "Coriaggo's". They quickly became friends and became virtually inseparable, dubbing themselves as "Beach Brothers (Beach Bros) for Life". They formed a special group with several of Zeke's brothers and (occasionally) Peedee Fryman, which they dubbed "Team Falcoverse" (a combination of Zeke and Steven's surnames) having many childhood adventures together. When they were seven, their friendship was strained after they fought over a RC car they'd won in a contest together, which led to the car's destruction in an accident and them to both blame each other and estrange themselves from each other for several weeks. Only with their fathers' intervention did the two reconcile. When the Falcos moved away to Empire City when they were nine, he shared a heartfelt goodbye with Steven, with them vowing to always be "Beach Bros". For four years, the two kept a long distance friendship, sending each other letters and gifts in the mail.
In "Beach Bros", the Falcos move back to Beach City unexpectedly, and Zeke and his brothers reconnect with Steven, his dad, the Gems and meets Connie and Lion. However, their friendship is briefly strained when Zeke, jealous of how close Steven and Connie have become, tries to assert himself as Steven's best friend, and inadvertently puts her in danger, which Steven and his brothers called him out on. Realizing that he'd gone too far, Zeke helps save her from harm, and apologizes for his behavior. All was forgiven and Steven assures Zeke that he can have two best friends.
Following this, Zeke develops a mutual respect for Connie, which with Steven's help, turned into a new friendship between the three. He attempts to help their families come together at his family restaurant (and later tries to help them unsuccessfully run away after the plan goes wrong) in "Fusion Cuisine", and witnesses Steven and Connie's fusion into Stevonnie in "Alone Together" and tries to defend them from Kevin at Sour Cream's rave. Zeke also retains a large concern for Steven's well being, and as such becomes concerned when Steven begins shutting him and Connie out in "Full Disclosure" to avoid telling them of the horrors of what he experienced. When Steven attempts to break his friendships with both of them, he chastises Steven for throwing away 10 years of friendship, and dares him along with Connie to say it to their faces. When Steven reveals his injured eye tearfully, and finally opens up with the two's help, Zeke convinces him to let them continue to be a part of his universe.
In "Sword to the Sword", Zeke at declines to take part in Pearl's combat training, mainly due his confidence in his own prior martial arts training, as well as being put off by Pearl's training methods to make Connie Steven's "knight", which he recognizes just the same as Steven to be dangerous and even potentially fatal to Connie. After helping Steven snap both Connie and Pearl out this mentality, he agrees to take up training and is even allowed to keep the Gem Weapon he borrowed from Pearl's arsenal.
Zeke continues having many adventures (both regular and Gem-related) throughout the series with Steven, both with and without Connie; battling Jasper, facing Homeworld threats, developing his first crush, and more, eventually, with Steven's approval, inducting Connie officially into Team Falcoverse as a team member. Zeke even points out that the three have formed such a close dynamic, with Connie as the brains, Zeke as the brawn (and to a lesser extent, the looks), and Steven as the heart.
Their friendship faces its greatest test yet starting in "I Am My Mom", when Steven tells Zeke "wave on, Z-Man" before leaving for Homeworld with Aquamarine and Topaz. This scene also shows that Zeke is terrified and angry at his decision as he shouts "are you crazy!" to him as he makes to leave. After Steven returned home in "Lars' Head", he becomes glad that Steven has returned as he, Connie, the Gems, and Greg run up to hug him.
However, in "Dewey Wins", Zeke, along with Connie, expresses that he feels betrayed that Steven gave himself up to Aquamarine in "I Am My Mom", instead of continuing to fight alongside the two of them as a team like he promised. Steven obliviously attempts to get them to look at the bright side of the situation, arguing that everything is fine since no one got permanently hurt, frustrating both Zeke and Connie to the point where they resignedly leave on an equally angry Lion, though not before Zeke gives Steven a harsh scolding and declares "Team Falcoverse" to be "no more" until further notice. When Steven finally realizes how much his surrender hurt Connie and Zeke and calls and texts them repeatedly to try and make amends, both consider responding, but can't figure out what to say; eventually, they meet and agree it best to resolve the issue in person, but are too late to visit Steven before he leaves for a vacation home with no cell service in "Gemcation", and are unable to try again for several weeks due to various personal reasons (as shown in the "Fallout" Shorts). In "Kevin Party", a few weeks later, Steven reunites with Zeke and Connie, and after overcoming their own tensions and Kevin's manipulations, the three are finally able talk to each other again. Zeke and Connie both apologize to Steven for not texting back and leaving him in the dark for so long. Steven in turn apologizes for giving himself up and not taking his friends' feelings into account, and the three of them affirm that they are still "Jam Buds" (Steven & Connie), "Beach Bros" (Steven & Zeke) and "Team Falcoverse" (all three).
In the first "Aftermath" short, taking place immediately after they leave Kevin's party after arriving at the beach near Steven's home, Zeke helps Connie relieve Steven any lingering feelings of guilt over their fight and estrangement, and both try to convince him not to give up ownership of Lion over it (which succeeds after Lion shows his forgiveness for Steven). In the second "Aftermath" short, after Zeke becomes overwhelmed by the pain of heartbreak over Lapis fleeing the Earth and the harsh actions she took against Zeke to sever their bond in his absence, Connie and Steven comfort him and vow to be there for him. Steven later takes him and Connie home on Lion in the final "Aftermath" short.
In "Lars of the Stars", Zeke, along with Steven, Connie, and his little brother Jax, travel through Lion's mane to take a care package to Lars, and find that he and the Gems known as the Off Colors are now a space crew trying to return to Earth. Steven reunites with Lars, introduces Connie, Zeke, and Jax to the Off Colors, and the three deliver the package to Lars. When Lars later has a breakdown after learning that Sadie is now in a band with Steven and the Cool Kids, and assumes that she is having such a good time to spite him for all the times he let her down, Zeke helps Steven, Connie, and Jax set him straight; they tell him that Sadie does still care for him and is very worried for him, but has to keep going in her life, just like Lars has to keep going in his life as he tries to get back to Earth. Zeke even gives him an MP3 player with a playlist of the bands songs (four of which are dedicated to Lars) that Sadie made for him, along with a letter explaining how much she misses him. He then helps Steven and Connie remind Lars that he and Sadie are best friends and would never do anything to hurt each other, and witness them fuse into Stevonnie in the process, whom he then introduces to Jax for the first time. Both of them then assist Stevonnie in taking out Emerald's ship's offenses, and after being shot down, sticks by them as they struggle to survive until Lars can find them in "Jungle Moon"; this indicates that since the events of "Kevin Party", the trio's bonds with each other have not only recovered, but are now stronger than ever. Steven has stated that since his reconciliation with them, Zeke and Connie have been helping him deal with the event that have occurred since he was on Homeworld.
In "Reunited", Zeke attends the Ruby-Sapphire wedding with his entire family, and later participates in battle against the Diamonds. After Steven is knocked out cold, Zeke and Connie try to wake him, but he manages to communicate with them via spiritual means and convinces them to guard his body while he tries to get through to Blue and Yellow Diamond about the truth about Pink Diamond.
In "Legs From Here to Homeworld," following the battle, Zeke sticks with the Crystal Gems, along with his brother Jax (who arrived sometime after the battle's end), as the Diamonds rejoice in finding Pink Diamond, aka Steven, learn more about the final consequences of their final attack, including corruption, and then goes along with Jax, Steven, Connie, the Diamonds and the Gems to Homeworld to try to convince White Diamond to cure the corruption. He is last seen with the Gems, Diamonds, Connie, and Jax after Steven is taken to see White Diamond, expressing great concern for his friend. He and everyone else later reunites with Steven in the following episode "Familiar", and learn of his intentions to throw a ball to help bring White Diamond around to help them.
In "Together Alone", Zeke helps Steven, Connie, Jax, the Crystal Gems, and Blue and Yellow's Pearls plan the ball and is begrudgingly allowed to attend alongside Connie and Jax as Steven's "pets" due to their statuses as organic beings. Later, during the ball, when Steven feels that he's made everyone miserable by caving into Homeworld's stifling traditions to impress White Diamond, Zeke, along with Connie, comforts him and Zeke convinces him to dance with her despite his reservations about it, which leads to them accidentally fusing into Stevonnie, and untentionally causing an uproar that winds up ruining the ball, getting the Crystal Gems poofed, and him, Stevonnie, and Jax thrown into a prison tower as punishment.
In "Escapism", Zeke, along with Connie and Jax, comforts Steven as he mopes over how their mission has gone wrong, and when Steven gets the idea to use his psychic powers to travel to Earth to find help, Zeke remains with the former two to watch over his body, staying with him to the point where they fall asleep prior to his return.
In "Change Your Mind", Zeke works together with Steven, as well as Connie and Jax, to free the other Crystal Gems and convince Blue and Yellow to ease up on their stifling rules and traditions and try to convince White Diamond to do the same. He also fights White Diamond alongside the other Crystal Gems, receiving his newly repaired and upgraded Spear Staff back from Bismuth in the process. Later, he fights alongside Connie to defend Steven inside the Diamond Mecha when all the other Crystal Gems are either incapacitated or mind-controlled, and helps Steven reunite with his gem after White Diamond removes it.
Zeke has a great love and respect for his father, and like his brothers, shares his own unique bond with him. Silvio often teaches his sons valuable life lessons on how to be strong hard-working men like him, which he hopes they'll carry on into their adult lives. Zeke also on occasion enjoys helping out at the family's restaurant Corragio's, working alongside his father and occasionally his brothers. However, in "Fusion Cuisine", it's also revealed that Zeke, along with the rest of his brothers, has a fear of his father's anger and punishments, such as having to do the most demeaning tasks at the restaurant during the weekends. Other than that, the two have a good relationship, and Silvio supports Zeke's adventures with Steven, as shown in "Legs From Here to Homeoworld," when he bids Zeke and Jax goodbye along with the rest of the family before they go to Homeworld with Steven, Connie, the Crystal Gems and Blue and Yellow Diamond.
Zeke loves his mother and is very loyal to her. He often compliments her cooking at both home and (occasionally) Corragio's. However, Zeke can often be irritated by his mother at times, such as her calling him by his full first name and middle name and showing him too much affection in public. "Fusion Cusine" shows that she is also quite the disciplinarian when it comes to reigning in her boys, such as when he helps her husband scold Zeke for trying to help Steven and Connie run away and grounds him from all electronic devices for a month. Other than that, the two have a good relationship, and Anne supports Zeke's adventures with Steven, as shown in "Legs From Here to Homeworld", when she bids Zeke and Jax goodbye along with the rest of the family, before they go to Homeworld with Steven, Connie, the Diamonds and the Gems.
Zeke loves all seven of his brothers, but has varying relationships with all of them. He seems to have good but distant relationships with his two eldest brothers Dominic and Zachary, who are both grown, still living in Empire City, and are both married, respectively. He has a cordial relationship with his fashion designer & hair stylist brother Lorenzo, whom he refuses to let change or cut his long, wild, unkempt "mane" of hair until the fifth "Fallout" Short. Zeke relationship with his brother Cooper is slightly strained due to Cooper's uptightness and focus on his goal to become a doctor. He has a better relationship with Vinnie, admiring his skills with cars and food. Above all his closest relationships seem to be with his youngest older brother Frankie and younger brother Jax, as the two also befriended Steven in their youth and occasionally take part in his, Zeke, and Connie's adventures on occasion (though Jax does this more than Frankie). In "Reunited", all the brothers attend Ruby and Sapphire's wedding along with their parents, Dominic and Zachary's wives, and Dominic's infant son, and later in "Legs From Here to Homeworld", they all bid Zeke and Jax goodbye before they they go to Homeworld with Steven, Connie, the Diamonds and the Gems. Zeke and Jax remain together on the mission with everyone, with Zeke often having to reel Jax in to prevent him from doing or saying something stupid, and the two fight together with the other Crystal Gems in the final battle against White Diamond.
Having known them since childhood, Zeke is on good terms with the Crystal Gems. In "Beach Bros", they were excited when he and his family returned to Beach. Pearl says in "Full Disclosure" that she does not understand human relationships when he and Connie are looking for Steven, though Pearl likely used her social ignorance to avoid answering where Steven was. In the podcast Rebecca Sugar and Ian Jones-Quartey say they actually treat both Zeke and Connie better than they treat any other human as being one of Steven’s best friends and dedicated combatants, and like her, he gets special treatment; it is said that the Gems are aware of all of the Falco's rules just as they know the Maheswarans.
Upon officially meeting Lapis in "Same Old World", Zeke fell in love with her at first sight. Despite being initally overwhelmed by his feelings for her, he soon over came this and he and Steven encouraged her to take a round the world tour with them to show her why she should stay on Earth, and later in "Barn Mates" helps to resolve Lapis and Peridot's differences (even briefly cheering up Lapis with a couple of jokes) and helped come up with the plan to protect Peridot from the Rubies.
From then on, the two develop a special bond, with Lapis noting that Zeke is one of the few people who can make her truly smile or laugh; it's also implied that she actually returns some of his feelings, and Zeke later mentions that their relationship is a mutual flirtation in "Gem Hunt".
In "Alone at Sea", their bond deepens when Zeke, tries to use his martial arts to protect her from Jasper and is instead knocked overboard unconscious. Lapis uses her hydrokenetic powers to remove the water from his lungs, reviving him.
In "Gem Harvest", Steven gives Lapis a gift from Zeke: a sliver locket decorated with blue stones and a blue lapis lazulli gem in the middle on the outside, and his and her pictures and a charming joke on the inside. Lapis is enamored by the gift and wears it with pride for many episodes afterwards.
However, in "Raising the Barn", when Lapis decides to flee the Earth rather than risk facing a potential Homeworld attack and Gem war, Peridot tries using her bond with Zeke to get her to stay, leading to an arguement that ends with Lapis, in effort to severe her strongest tie to the planet, denounces Zeke as nothing to her, and upon being goaded on to prove it, rips off her locket and throws it away, before fleeing the planet with the Barn. In the second "Aftermath Short" Peridot later reveals this to Zeke, and Steven confirms this by returning the locket (which Pumpkin had retrieved). As a result, Zeke is left badly heartbroken, which is carried over into the third and final "Aftermath Short".
In "Can't Go Back", Zeke travels with Steven and Lion to the Moon Base after Steven sees the Barn on the moon. The two reunite with Lapis, who apologizes to Zeke for hurting him the way she did; Zeke quickly forgives her. After reflecting on her life on Earth and whether or not to return to the planet, Zeke helps Steven to convince her to overcome her fears and come back, promising that they and the Crystal Gems can protect her. However, following Steven's dream about the Diamonds, Lapis' fear kicks in again, and she decides to get as far away from Earth as possible. Despite Zeke and Steven's attempts to convince her otherwise, Lapis leaves once again, though not before she takes back her locket from Zeke, promising to keep it close to her forever, and giving him his first kiss. Zeke, as such, is left heartbroken again, though he takes some comfort in knowing that she now has her locket again.
In "Reunited", Lapis returns to assist in the battle against the Diamonds, declaring herself a Crystal Gem in the process, and accrediting her locket as one of the reasons that inspired her return, much to Zeke's delight. The two fight together with the other Crystal Gems, against Blue and Yellow Diamond. Later, when Lapis ends up being poofed, he attempts to run to her aid, but is stopped by Connie, who tells him that she would be fine as long as the other Gems can keep fighting, but that Steven, who'd been knocked unconscious in the battle, needed them both at the time, causing Zeke, after a moment of hesitation, to remain at his two best friends' sides.
In "Legs From Here to Homeworld", before leaving for Homeworld, Zeke asks Bismuth to tell Lapis when she reforms that she's glad to have her back, and he's very proud of her that she came to help them. Zeke reunites with her later when she comes to Homeworld in "Change Your Mind" and complements her new form. He later introduces her to the rest of his family upon the Gems return to Earth (during which she reveals she kept their locket in her gemstone), and is seen cuddling with her at a barbecue with the entire Crystal Gem family.
At first, upon meeting Connie and noting her close relationship with Steven in "Beach Bros", Zeke sees her as a threat to his and Steven's dynamic, and tries to come between them, eventually inadvertently putting her in a dangerous situation with some other guys. Upon being chewed out by Steven and his brothers for this, Zeke realizes his mistake, helped rescue Connie, and apologizes for his behavior. She and everyone else forgives him and Steven assures Zeke he can have both him and Connie as best friends, with Zeke admitting that Connie was not so bad after seeing her attempt to stand up to the guys who'd been hassling her.
From then on, the two form a mutual respect, which with Steven's help blossoms into a good friendship. Connie and Zeke seem to compliment each other despite having initially opposite personalities, and both share a mutual unique bond with Steven as shown when they comfort him in "Full Disclosure" and "Mindful Educations" over previous traumas. Zeke also sometimes tries to exhert seniority over Connie as Steven's "senior best friend", though he will defer to her when he knows she is right about something.
Both even take up training in combat together to assist Steven in battle eventually becoming members of the Crystal Gems, and with Steven's support, Zeke officially inducts Connie officially into his and Steven's special team "Team Falcoverse" as a team member. At one point, Zeke even points out that the three have formed such a close dynamic, with Connie as the brains, Zeke as the brawn (and to a lesser extent, the looks), and Steven as the heart.
Their friendship faces its greatest test yet starting in "I Am My Mom", when Steven surrenders himself to Aquamarine and Topaz to save the two of them and all others who'd been captured by the two Homeworld Gems, bidding his friends goodbye in the process. This scene also shows that both Connie and Zeke are terrified and angry at Steven's decision as they shout at him not to do it and can only scream in horror as he is taken away. After Steven returned home in "Lars' Head", both become glad that Steven has returned as they, the Gems, and Greg run up to hug him.
However, in "Dewey Wins", Zeke and Connie both express that they feel betrayed that Steven gave himself up to Aquamarine in "I Am My Mom", instead of continuing to fight alongside the two of them like he promised. Steven obliviously insists on looking at the bright side of the situation, arguing that everything is fine since no one got permanently hurt, frustrating both Zeke and Connie to the point where they resignedly leave on an equally angry Lion, though not before Zeke gives Steven a harsh scolding and declares "Team Falcoverse" to be "no more" until further notice.
In the first "Fallout" short, after returning home, Zeke and Connie don't interact again for a week, all the while struggling to figure out how to respond to Steven's calls and texts when he finally realizes how much he hurt them and tries to apologize. Eventually, in the second "Fallout Short", Zeke rides Lion (who'd been splitting time between his and Connie's homes, to give them both comfort and companionship and teach Steven a hard lesson over taking them and his other loved ones for granted) to Connie's house, and the two discuss over what to do. After Zeke tells Connie of his and Steven's last big fight, the "RC Incident", both decide it best to resolve things in person, but are too late to visit Steven before he leaves for a vacation home with no cell service in "Gemcation", and are unable to try again for several weeks due to various personal reasons, as shown in the third "Fallout" short. During this time, Zeke becomes worried over how his and Connie's extended silent treatment might end up affecting Steven in the long run, and suggests to her that they at least leave Steven some kind of sign that showed that they still cared for him until they could finally meet in person. While Connie is on board with the plan, in the fourth short, it's revealed that the two spent a few days arguing without coming to any agreement or compromise on how to go about it; as a result, they ultimately aborted the plan, thus keeping Steven in the dark anyways.
In the fourth "Fallout" short (taking place the day prior to the start of the events of "Kevin Party"), Zeke and Connie finally meet again in Zeke's neighborhood, but are unable to agree on how to go about trying again to meet Steven in person; their frustration eventually boils over into them having a heated fight that is soon broken up by Lion. They are then approached by Kevin, who invites Connie to his party (under the pretense that Steven will be there), but brushes off Zeke; Connie stands up for Zeke and forces vowing that if Zeke isn't invited, she won't show up either. Knowing this could blow his plans, Kevin caves, but only on the condition that Zeke wears some stylish clothes and gets a haircut, the latter of which he'd vowed to never do, and text him a picture to get Kevin's approval for an invite; to that end, he opts to withold his address from Connie until Zeke complies. After some self debate, Zeke decides his friendship with Steven outweighs his vow, and in the fifth "Fallout" short, has his fashion designer/hair stylist brother Lorenzo cut his beloved long "mane" and bangs down to a short ear-to-chin-length mid-part with one middle bang. He also sports an all-black attire (shirt, jeans, and shoes) given to him by Lorenzo for his last birthday, and later texts Kevin the picture of him with his new attire and hair the following day. As Lorenzo finishes Zeke's hair, Connie, deciding she needs a change for herself, as well as to symbolize a fresh start with Steven, asks Lorenzo to do her hair for her too, having it cut down to a chin-length bob with bangs, despite Zeke's attempts to dissuade her. Connie later confirms on the podcast that she'd been inspired by Zeke's haircut to get one of her own, citing that she'd felt that she needed to make a change about herself since at least a week after the two's fallout with Steven, but wasn't sure what the change should be until after seeing Zeke with his new short-haired look.
In "Kevin Party" and the final two "Fallout" shorts, Zeke picks up Connie at her house via Lion, and they, sporting their new looks, arrive at the party. They look for Steven but do not see him and figure he hasn't arrived yet and are approached by the guests, who invite them to hang out and talk. Connie is willing, but Zeke is reluctant, as he doesn't wish for them to get distracted and blow another chance to reconcile with Steven. Connie convinces him to, in order to give themselves something to do until Steven arrives, and relieve themselves of some of the stress they've both been under. Zeke agrees, but persuades that they keep looking out for Steven in the meantime, and the two quickly fall in with the guests. Later, when Steven arrives, the two notice him while chatting and laughing with several guests, and he notices them, but when he freaks out and hides from the shock of seeing how different they look from when he last saw them, the party guests regain their attention. Zeke then desires to break away from the guests and finally make up with Steven, but Connie, freaking out herself and feeling that she needs more time in order to calm herself down and clear her and that Zeke is also freaking out and needs the same thing, but knowing that he would never agree with her on it and that pressing the issue would likely result in another fight between them and thus ruining another reconciliation attempt, resorts to lying to him by encouraging him to not be rude and for them to wait until the right moment to politely get away from the other guests (an act that she almost immediately regrets afterwards), at which he agrees. The two continue to talk to and laugh with the guests as Lion watches.
After much misunderstanding caused by their own tensions and uncertainty, as well as Kevin's manipulations, Steven, Zeke, and Connie finally talk to each other again with the latter two explaining their unintentional silence; Zeke and Connie apologize to Steven for not texting back and leaving him in the dark for so long; in the process, Connie also admits her lie to Zeke, and apologizes to him for it, and he apologizes to her for driving her to it by being insensible to her suggestions and ideas on how to resolve their situation. Steven in turn apologizes to both of them for giving himself up and not taking their feelings into account, and the three of them affirm that they are still "Jam Buds" (Steven & Connie), "Beach Bros" (Steven & Zeke), and "Team Falcoverse" (all three), before leaving together on Lion.
In the first "Aftermath" short, taking place immediately after they leave Kevin's party after arriving at the beach near Steven's home, Zeke helps Connie relieve Steven any lingering feelings of guilt over their fight and estrangement, and both try to convince him not to give up ownership of Lion over it (which succeeds after Lion shows his forgiveness for Steven). In the second "Aftermath" short, after Zeke becomes overwhelmed by the pain of heartbreak over Lapis fleeing the Earth and the harsh actions she took against Zeke to sever their bond in his absence, Connie and Steven comfort him and vow to be there for him.
In "Lars of the Stars", Zeke, along with Steven, Connie, and his little brother Jax, travel through Lion's mane to take a care package to Lars, and find that he and the Gems known as the Off Colors are now a space crew trying to return to Earth. Steven reunites with Lars, introduces Connie, Zeke, and Jax to the Off Colors, and the three deliver the package to Lars. When Lars later has a breakdown after learning that Sadie is now in a band with Steven and the Cool Kids, and assumes that she is having such a good time to spite him for all the times he let her down, Zeke helps Steven, Connie, and Jax set him straight, telling him that Sadie does still care for him and is very worried for him, but has to keep going in her life, just like Lars has to keep going in his life as he tries to get back to Earth, even giving him an MP3 player with a playlist of the bands songs (four of which are dedicated to Lars) that Sadie made for him along with a letter explaining how much she misses him. He then helps Steven and Connie remind Lars that he and Sadie are best friends and would never do anything to hurt each other, and witnesses them fuse into Stevonnie in the process, whom he then introduces to Jax for the first time. Both of them then assist Stevonnie in taking out Emerald's ship's offenses, and after being shot down, sticks by them as they struggle to survive until Lars can find them in "Jungle Moon"; this indicates that since the events of "Kevin Party", the trio's bonds with each other have not only recovered, but are now stronger than ever.
In "Reunited", the two attend the Ruby-Sapphire wedding with their families, and participate in the battle against the Diamonds, taking charge several times when the others are incapacitated, even at the cost of their weapons being destroyed. After Steven is knocked out cold, Connie and Zeke both try to wake him, but he manages to communicate with her via spiritual means and convinces them to guard his body.
In "Legs From Here to Homeworld," the two stick with the Crystal Gems along with his brother Jax, as the Diamonds rejoice in finding Pink Diamond, aka Steven, learn more about the final consequences of their final attack, including corruption, and then goes along with Jax, Steven, the Diamonds and the Gems to Homeworld to try to convince White Diamond to cure the corruption. They are last seen with the Gems, Diamonds, and Jax after Steven is taken to see White Diamond.
The two later reunite with Steven, along with Jax and the Crystal Gems, in the following episode "Familiar", and learn of his intentions to throw a ball to help bring White Diamond around to help them. In "Together Alone", they help Steven, Jax, the Crystal Gems, and Blue and Yellow's Pearls plan the ball and are begrudgingly allowed to attend alongside Jax as Steven's "pets" due to their statuses as organic beings. Later, during the ball, when Steven feels that he's made everyone miserable by caving into Homeworld's stifling traditions to impress White Diamond, the two comforts him and Zeke convinces him to dance with Connie despite his reservations about it, which leads to them accidentally fusing into Stevonnie, and untentionally causing an uproar that winds up ruining the ball, getting the Crystal Gems poofed, and them, Zeke, and Jax thrown into a prison tower as punishment.
In "Change Your Mind", the two work together with Steven and Jax, to free the other Crystal Gems and convince Blue and Yellow to ease up on their stifling rules and traditions and try to convince White Diamond to do the same. They also fight White Diamond alongside the other Crystal Gems (with Connie receiving a new sword, and Zeke his newly repaired and upgraded Spear Staff back, both from Bismuth, in the process). Later, the two fight alongside each other to defend Steven inside the Diamond Mecha when all the other Crystal Gems are either incapacitated or mind-controlled, and work together to help Steven reunite with his gem after White Diamond removes it.
Because they both care about Steven, Zeke and Lion have a friendly connection to each other. Though originally shocked upon meeting him, Zeke quickly warmed up to and was fascinated by Lion. He seems to return the feeling, as shown in "Nightmare Hospital" when Lion allows Zeke his brother Jax to give him a belly rub, which becomes a recurring theme from that point on. Zeke often addresses Lion with affectionate terms such as "Big Pink Puss", "Big Guy", "Big Fella", and his favorite, "Mane Brother". Zeke is also the fastest one to be accepted by Lion next to Steven and Connie, trusting and allowing him to ride on his back. Steven, Connie, and Zeke often take Lion with them to travel to places in Beach City, and like with Connie, Lion has grown used to having Zeke around.
In "Dewey Wins", after Zeke and Connie frustratingly give up trying to make Steven understand how much he hurt them by surrendering to Homeworld and ask Lion to take them home, Lion shoots Steven a disapproving glare before leaving with them, showing that he shares their anger at Steven over his surrender, as well as him treating the situation as nothing, and ignoring their feelings about it. Over the next few weeks afterwards (as shown in the "Fallout" shorts), Lion jointly stays with both Zeke and Connie, splitting time between their homes every few days, presumably to give them both comfort and companionship during their and Steven's estrangement, as well as to teach Steven a hard lesson over taking them and his other loved ones for granted; the two later ride him to Steven's house in an attempt to reconcile in person after failing to do so over the phone, only to find that he'd gone on vacation.
In "Kevin Party", Lion returns along with Zeke and Connie, bringing them to Kevin's party, and following their and Steven's reconciliation, Lion later forgives him as well as shown in the first "Aftermath" short; taking place immediately after the four leave Kevin's party and arrive at the beach near Steven's home, lingering feelings of guilt over their fight and estrangement overwhelm Steven, who comes to realize that Lion was angry at him just as much as Connie and Zeke were, and that that was why he never returned to Steven and stayed with the two of them for the past few weeks. Despite their attempts to comfort him, the lingering guilt becomes so bad that Steven nearly permenantly gives up ownership of Lion to both of them, as he no longer feels worthy of being Lion's owner and believes that Lion still feels the same way. It is only when Lion nuzzles and licks him, showing his forgiveness of Steven, that the latter relents on his decision, and by "Lars of the Stars", he and Steven are shown to be on good terms once more.
In "Reunited", Zeke rides Lion into battle alongside Connie against the Diamonds and both stick with him after part of his spear-staff is broken off, and her sword is destroyed.
Zeke first encounters Kevin along with Stevonnie in "Alone Together". Since their first meeting, Steven, Connie, and Zeke all hold a negative opinion of him, an attitude carrying over to "Beach City Drift", especially after learning of how Kevin almost got Zeke's brother Vinnie hurt or worse after pulling a dirty move to win in the last stretch of a race. Steven's dislike towards Kevin is overt and hostile, Connie's is more subdued and internal, and Zeke's is a mixture of both. While racing him as along with Stevonnie and Vinnie, Zeke acts as a wingman for both his brother and his friends, and later helps Stevonnie stay calm and ignore Kevin. Although both ultimately lose to Kevin, they accept the loss with grace, and Zeke goads Stevonnie and Vinnie in to racing each other, angering Kevin who yells that Stevonnie is obsessed with him as they all leave.
In "Kevin Party", Kevin invites Steven and Connie to his party in the hopes that they can make it an event that everyone will remember by fusing into Stevonnie. He also only invites Zeke as well after Connie threatens not to show up at all if he doesn't, albeit with the condition that Zeke changes his hair and style of dress (which he ultimately complies with). Unknown to him at the time, the three friends had been estranged for the past few weeks over Steven's surrender to Homeworld (or rather, Steven had been estranged from Connie and Zeke and vice versa), and all only accept (or in Zeke's case, ask for) the invitation in the hopes of seeing each other again and working things out. However, upon seeing each other at the party, tension and uncertainty between them (due to Steven believing that Connie and Zeke's new looks were a sign that they had decided to move on from him, and Connie and Zeke presumably being uncertain of what Steven thinks of them after unintentionally leaving him completely in the dark during the duration of their estrangement) prevent them from reconciling immediately. When Kevin learns of the situation, he, misinterpeting that Steven and Connie were a couple and that Zeke was their mutual friend who was now dating Connie, attempts to get them all back together so the former two can fuse, convincing an emotionally vulnerable and desperate Steven to play it cool and act like life is going well for him without his best friends, so that they'll be desperate enough come to him. The advice, however, backfires, instead agitating Connie and Zeke to the point where they believe that Steven has given up on making amends with them after being unintentionally ignored for so long, and has decided not only to permanently cut them from his life, but to also replace them with Kevin as his sole best friend; this is seemingly confirmed when Steven later calls them and Lion (who'd been jointly staying with them during this time) all out in a short but bitter resentment-filled rant for ignoring and abandoning him, and supposedly living the good life without him before deciding to apparently cut ties with all them, nearly causing the two leave distraughtly after angrily confronting him over it. After Steven stops them from leaving and retracts his rant, and the three finally reconcile, Kevin attempts to get Steven and Connie to fuse, but they and Zeke instead decide to take their leave on Lion, though not before thanking Kevin for his help and complementing him on the party, much to his anger.
Click here for the designs of Zeke Falco.
Trivia & Tropes
- Former Steven Universe writers Matt Burnett and Ben Levin created Zeke's character, as well as those of his family.
- They also inspired him from fan-favorite Power Rangers character Tommy Oliver, which accounts for his martial arts prowess.
- Zeke is primarily Italian-American, but also is said to have elements of Greek and Jewish heritage from his father and mother's sides of the family respectively. He is proud of his heritage and is fiercely protective of it.
- Zeke absolutely hates being addressed by his full first name and his middle name, to the point where he has threatened, and even inflicted physical harm on people who do so.
- The only exceptions he has made to this rule are his parents, other adult members of his family and his teachers, whom he reluctantly allows them to address him by those names (due to them all having "special authority").
- Zeke has trained in martial arts and bo staff combat since he was six years old, and still practices both in his spare time, along with his combat training with the Gems, Steven, and Connie.
- This has left him with a somewhat muscular build, which Connie and Lapis notes is quite attractive in "The New Crystal Gems", when he changes shirts in front of them.
- Zeke often provides comedic relief in the forms of quips, jokes, one-liners, and sarcasm. This decreases significantlty in the later seasons.
- Though Zeke shares many of Steven and Connie's interests, he notably dislikes fantasy novels, preferring sci-fi and mystery instead.
- Zeke is an anime fan, his favorite being DragonHeart Y (a parody of DragonBall Z) and his favorite character is Gotu (a parody of DBZ's Goku) due to his martial arts skills and his signature long hair, the latter of which inspired Zeke to grow his hair out.
- Zeke does not appear in the series' first opening sequence, due to him not debuting until the second half of Season 1. In the second intro, he appears next to Connie with his Electro Spear Staff holstered at his side, and the two run after Greg's van, and later sit in front of him, and Zeke removes his cap, displaying his long hair.
- In later episodes, Steven keeps an old photo of him and Zeke as 5-year-olds on the beach in their swimsuits, displaying big smiles (with some missing teeth) with their motto and vow, "Beach Bros 4 Life" signed underneath them.
- Steven keeps this photo next to a photo of Connie, and refers to them as his "favorite pictures."
- Zeke often notes life-lessons that his father and other relatives have given him, mainly in times of crisis or comfort.
- In "Sworn to the Sword", Zeke puts himself in the middle of Steven and Connie's "Jam Bud" mantra as "the knife that unites them together", though he only does this on occasion, as he recognizes the mantra as specially belonging to Steven and Connie, just as the "Beach Bros" mantra belongs to him and Steven exclusively. They later come up with a mantra for "Team Falcoverse" with Connie as "the brains", Zeke as "the brawn (and the looks)", and Steven as "the heart".
- Zeke is mentioned to have relatives (on both sides) living in Empire City, Jersey State, and Italy. His two eldest brothers also live in Empire City with their wives.
- Zeke is revealed to be fluent in Italian in "Same Old World", when he speaks it in a flirtation attempt with Lapis.
- Character Development:
- Starting out as a good-natured friend to Steven, in his debut in "Beach Bros", Zeke was also seen to get easily jealous of Steven's friendship with Connie, feeling that he'd been replaced by her, and attempted to come between them to keep his "beach bro" with him at all times. But in the end, he realized that Steven had room for more than one best friend and eventually comes to accept Connie as a good friend, particularly by "The New Crystal Gems" when the two help look after Beach City in Steven and the Crystal Gems' absence.
- Throughout the series, Zeke is shown to be something of a joker, often making cracks and puns about even the most serious situations, which some characters, particularly Pearl, find annoying and counter-intuitive, as seen in "Gem Hunt", but in later seasons, particularly Season 5, following Steven's surrender to homeworld, his return, and the fallout between him and Zeke and Connie, Zeke slowly only makes jokes when he feels that the moment is appropriate.
- After taking up Gem combat training alongside Connie, Zeke becomes somewhat overconfident in his abilities, due to having years of martial arts training experience prior to the series. However, after getting soundly beaten by Jasper in "Alone at Sea" and then freezing up in battle against her along with Connie in their first "Gem Hunt", Zeke humbles himself and begins to put more confidence in his friends.
- Subtle, but whenever Steven had an argument to make, Zeke would often take his side in things because of their close brotherly bond. However, in "Dewey Wins", Zeke takes Connie's (and Lion's) side, since he was scared of nearly losing his life-long best friend for good, and like her, was hurt that Steven broke their pact to always be a team, and didn't even at least consult with them about giving himself up beforehand. And like Connie, he winds up estranged from Steven for weeks over this.
- For most of the series starting from his debut, Zeke had mostly straight, slightly unkempt upper-back length Wild Hair and bangs, that he proudly dubbed his "mane", kept tucked underneath his cap a lot of the time, and had vowed for years to never cut or change for any reason. However, in the fourth "Fallout" short, after being estranged from Steven for weeks and one failed reconciliation attempt after another, Zeke, along with Connie, is presented with the opportunity to finally see him again to work things out with him by Kevin, the three's mutual human nemesis (though Kevin only wanted her and Steven to bring Stevonnie out, and only invited Zeke after Connie forced his hand by threatening not to show up at all), though only on certain conditions – including getting a haircut. After some hard thinking, Zeke decides that his and Connie's friendships with Steven are more important than keeping his hair long, and selflessly sacrifices his beloved "mane" for a new shorter haircut, and inadvertently inspires Connie to do the same with her hair.
- When he arrives at Kevin's party alongside Connie via Lion in "Kevin Party" and the seventh "Fallout" short, they are both shown with their new haircuts, and stylish attires; Connie's wearing a stylish blue-and-green dress, and Zeke is sporting a tight-fitting, all-black ensemble given to him by his brother Lorenzo (who also did both of their haircuts). This contrasts Zeke's previous dislike of tight-fitting, dark-colored clothing and later inspires him to change most of his wardrobe permanently. They are both later seen chatting amiably with the party guests and fitting in with Kevin's cool friends perfectly, both together and seperately, even though they and Steven are the three youngest ones there. You would never imagine them (especially Connie) doing this together at the beginning of the series, especially after their rocky first meeting, but they've both grown so much, we don't even question it. This also brings out a comforting side of him which is shown when after Connie retreats into a corner of the party out of agitation and confusion and sits in solitude after witnessing Steven deliberately ignore all of her and Zeke's attempts to get his attention so the three could reconcile (on Kevin's advice to bait them into making the first move and his own suppressed negative feelings), and hang out with Kevin and his inner circle for the entire party, Zeke follows after her, and does his best to comfort her even as she breaks down in tears believing that Steven no longer wants them in his life as a result of them all but abandoning him for the past few weeks and blaming herself for it.
- During the battle against Blue Diamond, when Steven and the rest of the Crystal Gems are incapacitated by Blue's pathokinesis attack (in which she forces others to feel her most-powerfully felt emotion at the time), Zeke, along with Connie, unaffected by it (due to both of them being fully organic beings), take charge and the two, with the help of Lion (who is also unaffected), attempt to attack Blue Diamond to free them. While the attack ultimately fails and results in the destruction of half of his Electro-Spear Staff as well as Connie sword, hr continues to fight alongside Connie, Lion, and the others to the end.
- During the Diamond Days arc, Zeke remains as one of the level-headed ones, often reeling in his brother Jax before he can do anything foolish, and supporting Steven throughout the entire arc. He even proves vital in the final battle, with him reuniting with Lapis, getting his repaired and upgraded spear staff back, and helping Connie reunite Steven's human and gem halves in White Diamond's ship.
- From his debut in "Beach Bros", until "Dewey Wins", Zeke wore often light-colored, loose-to-moderately fitting clothing, and had mostly straight, slightly unkempt, upper-back length hair with bangs, that he proudly dubbed his "mane", often kept tucked underneath his cap, and had made a solemn personal vow to never cut or change for any reason. At some point following his and Connie's fallout with Steven in the latter episode and before their reconciliation in "Kevin Party", he cuts or has someone cut his hair down to a ear-to-chin-length mid-split style also getting rid of all but one of his bangs (which is later revealed to be by Lorenzo the day before the start of "Kevin Party"), and changes his wardrobe style to that of dark-colored, tight-fitting clothing.
- According to Tara Strong, Zeke only got a haircut to meet Kevin's demands to get him and Connie into his party in order to reunite and reconcile with Steven (in contrast to Connie's reason for her haircut, which was for personal growth and relieving some of the emotion baggage left by Steven surrender and the fight and estrangement following his return, and was also done by Lorenzo on the same day as his), but his wardrobe change was basically his way of growing up, "moving forward" and personally developing independently from having a magical best friend, as shown by him acting less laid back and prideful, cracking less jokes, and becoming more level-headed and serious about certain matters, from "Kevin Party" on. Zeke himself confirmed in the podcast that he only got a haircut to satisfy Kevin's demands to get himself and Connie into the former's party to meet and make up with Steven, and that while he intends to eventually grow his hair back and is a little upset with having to do so, the successful reconciliation has allowed him to have no real regrets about cutting it.
- According to Matt Burnett and Ben Levin on the podcast, Zeke's uncharacteristically insensible behavior towards Connie in the "Fallout" shorts and "Kevin Party" stemmed mostly from the memories of his previous childhood fallout with and estrangement from Steven, aka the "RC Incident", which was shown via flashbacks in the second short. Zeke mentions to Connie in said short that the longer he and Steven stayed angry at and refused to speak to each other, the harder it became for them to talk at all. Burnett and Levin confirm this, also noting that had Steven and Zeke's fathers not intervened and brought them to their senses, they likely wouldn't have reconciled at all. Zeke wanted to avoid a repeat of this in his and Connie's estrangemet from Steven, which is why he continuously insisted on immediate action in the reconciliation, and repeatedly dismissed and refused to hear out her ideas if they involved delaying or taking things slow, not realizing in his blind determination and impatience that he was making her feel that her opinions didn't matter to him, and that he didn't care about her or her feelings at all and only cared about reconciling with Steven. This all played a big part in Connie's decision to lie to him to make him go along with her desire to wait and get their heads and nerves together before trying to talk to Steven at the party, which in turn, and along with other contributing factors, inadvertedly triggered the major misunderstanding between both sides that nearly ruined both the reconciliation attempt and their friendships altogether.
- The Confidant: To Steven and Lapis. While Steven is generally open about his feelings, Zeke is one of two people (the other being Connie) that he's the most honest with about his doubts, insecurities, and fears. For Lapis, having proven to be a good listener with her after she told him most of her life prior to being stuck in the mirror and all her trauma since then, Zeke becomes a pillar of emotional support for her, which in turn leads to her returning a good deal of his romantic feelings for her later on.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: For most of the series, Zeke had mostly straight, slightly unkempt upper-back length Wild Hair and bangs, that he proudly dubbed his "mane", kept tucked underneath his cap a lot of the time, and had vowed for the past few years to never cut or change for any reason. However, in "Kevin Party", he is revealed to have broken this vow and cut/had someone cut his hair to ear-to-chin-length in a mid-split style with a single middle bang. This change happened just the day before the events of the said episode, and occurred in the interim following Steven's return from Homeworld in "Lars's Head", and the ensuing fight that Zeke and Connie (who also got an Expository Hairstyle Change alongside him) had with him in "Dewey Wins" over his surrender, which led an estrangement between them (and Lion) and him that lasted a few weeks.
- It's revealed late in the episode, (and later given full clarity in the fourth and fifth of the "Fallout" shorts, which detail Connie and Zeke's side of their fallout with Steven), that both haircuts extended from Connie and Zeke's encounter with Kevin: Kevin had only planned to invite Connie to his party, but was forced to invite Zeke as well when Connie threatened not to come no matter what if he didn't. Kevin gave in on the conditions that Zeke get a new wardrobe and haircut, and texted him a picture of him after he'd done both, and opted to withhold giving his address to Connie until he complied. Zeke, after some deep thought, decided to break his vow and go through with Kevin's demands (though for the sake of Steven and their friendship, not for Kevin) and had his brother Lorenzo cut his hair to a ear-to-chin-length mid-split with a single middle bang. for him. After his was done, Connie, deciding she needed a change, and as a symbol of her wanting to start fresh with Steven, had Lorenzo cut her hair into a chin-length bob with bangs (much to Zeke's dismay).
- In addition, starting with "Kevin Party", Zeke also begins wearing tighter, edgier, black and dark colored clothing; such as skin-tight black shirts and dark-colored jeans and shorts. He also begins to express a more serious side to him, though he maintains much of his original personality.
- Important Haircut: Cuts/has someone cut his long hair and bangs down to a ear-to-chin length mid-split with one center bang alongside Connie at some point between "Dewey Wins" and "Kevin Party" (which is later revealed in the fourth, fifth, and sixth "Fallout" shorts to have been the day before Kevin invited Steven to his party, and both were done by Zeke's brother Lorenzo, as mentioned by them near the episode's end and later shown in the short itself), which makes it look like they've both changed a lot since Steven last saw them.
- Word of God: In this case, Zeke's voice actor, Tara Strong, says in an episode of the show's podcast that while Zeke only cut his hair to appease Kevin's conditions in order to get him and Connie invited to Kevin's party (as contrast to Connie, who may have done this to help deal with "moving forward"), his decision to break his most sacred vow and sacrifice his beloved "mane" in order for him and Connie to finally have the chance to rescue their friendships with Steven was a great sign of maturity and personal growth, as well as him shedding some of the laid-back and prideful sides of his personality. Zeke himself later confirms this in the same episode, citing that while he strongly treasured his signature "mane" and intends to grow it all back, he treasures his friendship with Steven more.
- This is further corroborated by Lorenzo in the fifth "Fallout" short when he explains to Zeke the reason for Connie's decision to cut her hair and how that may also somewhat apply to Zeke as well, even though it wasn't his intention, and that their respective hair changes are major signifiers that the two of them are growing up.
- Word of God: In this case, Zeke's voice actor, Tara Strong, says in an episode of the show's podcast that while Zeke only cut his hair to appease Kevin's conditions in order to get him and Connie invited to Kevin's party (as contrast to Connie, who may have done this to help deal with "moving forward"), his decision to break his most sacred vow and sacrifice his beloved "mane" in order for him and Connie to finally have the chance to rescue their friendships with Steven was a great sign of maturity and personal growth, as well as him shedding some of the laid-back and prideful sides of his personality. Zeke himself later confirms this in the same episode, citing that while he strongly treasured his signature "mane" and intends to grow it all back, he treasures his friendship with Steven more.
- Significant Wardrobe Shift: For most of the series, Zeke's attires consisted of light-colored, often loose-to-medium fitting clothing. Starting with "Kevin Party" and after his Expository Hairstyle Change alongside Connie in the "Fallout" shorts, his attires change mostly to dark-colored, tight-fitting clothing.
- Word of God: In this case, Zeke's voice actor, Tara Strong, says that in contrast to why he cut his hair, his decision to change his style of dress was similar to why Connie cut hers: to help deal with "moving forward", and that like Connie, although his friendship with Steven is very important to him, he needed time to invest in his personal growth independently from having a magical best friend.
- Wild Hair: Zeke has upper back-length, slightly unkempt, mostly straight black hair with bangs. Starting with "Kevin Party", this is averted with his Expository Hairstyle Change.
- Zeke's friendship with Steven, while mainly positive, has been tested on four different occasions:
- The "RC Incident" when they were seven.
- Zeke becoming jealous of Connie and inadvertedly putting her in danger while attempting to keep her away from Steven in "Beach Bros".
- Steven shutting Zeke and Connie out and trying to break his friendships with both during "Full Disclosure", following the events of "The Return/Jailbreak".
- Zeke and Connie's fight with Steven over his surrender in "I Am My Mom", which leads to an estrangement that lasts for three weeks from "Dewey Wins" to "Kevin Party".
- Connie and Zeke sported waist-length Rapunzel Hair and upper back-length Wild Hair with bangs respectively for most of the series. However, early in season five, the two argue with Steven over him surrendering himself to Homeworld which lead to a weeks-long estrangement between them (and Lion) and him. During this time (and just days prior to Kevin's party, as shown in the fourth, fifth, and sixth "Fallout" shorts) they both have Zeke's brother Lorenzo cut their hair down to chin-length and ear-to-chin-length; in addition, Connie adds bangs, and Zeke has all but one of his bangs removed.
- In the "Steven Universe Podcast", they both admit their different reasons to cutting their hair: Zeke admits that he did so because, after his and Connie's repeated failures and delays in trying to work things out with Steven over the course of their weeks-long estrangment from him, he was willing to do anything to see and reconcile with his best friend again, even break his most sacred vow (to never cut or change his hair for any reason) and meet the demands of Kevin (though he maintains that he did so only for the sakes of Steven and his and Connie's friendships with him), citing that he could always grow his hair out again (and has every intention of doing so), but he couldn't grow "another best friend named Steven Universe", and admits that while he is slightly disappointed to have to regrow his beloved "mane", he has no regrets in "taming" it since it ultimately led to him and Connie making up with Steven. Connie admits to cutting her hair because she felt that with all the drama going on between her, Zeke, and Steven, she needed a change after having long hair like Zeke's for a long time, and also that she wasn't sure what change she needed to make until seeing how good Zeke looked with short hair after Lorenzo had finished with him, which inspired her to have Lorenzo cut her hair too.
- It is implied that their respective hair may gradually regrow to their original lengths (or at least close to them) over the course of the rest of the series.
- WMG: Connie and Zeke's hair will gradually regrow to close to their original lengths, if not entirely.
- The decision to cut one's hair often signifies character growth, but so does the decision to grow one's hair out again. In Connie and Zeke's cases, their decisions to cut their hair during their estrangement from Steven helped them to develop as individuals while apart from him, even in spite of their differing reasons of doing so; one could argue that this applies more to Connie than to Zeke as Connie got her hair cut of her own free will and choice, while Zeke was essentially forced to do it by Kevin in order to get himself and Connie into Kevin's party so they could reunite and reconcile with Steven. However, it can be argued that Zeke's haircut was also ultimately his choice, and his decision to willingly sacrifice the one thing he valued most materialistically (his hair) in order to save the one thing he valued most sentimentally (his and Connie's friendships with Steven), was a great sign of maturity and character growth. As such, as their personal strengths and relationships with him and others continue to grow throughout the remainder of the series, their hair possibly will as well as a symbol of such growth.
- Beach Bros (debut): Zeke Falco, an old friend from Steven's childhood, returns and reconnects with him, but soon becomes jealous over his close friendship with Connie.
- Fusion Cusine: Steven has the Crystal Gems act as his mother at a dinner with Connie's family at Zeke's family's restaurant.
- Alone Together: The Crystal Gems teach Steven how to fuse. After the lesson, Steven and Connie fuse accidentally and begin to experience it together with Zeke helping them.
- Marble Madness: Multiple robonoids start to appear, and the Crystal Gems decide to track down their designated location to stop the neverending arrivals.
- The Return (mentioned): Steven calls Zeke (who is out of town) and leave him a message about the attack.
- Full Disclosure: Post-event, Steven attempts to convince Connie and Zeke not to be with him anymore to protect her from danger.
- Sworn to the Sword: Connie trains with Pearl to be a swordfighter for Steven and only Steven, which rubs both him and Zeke the wrong way. In the end, the two talk Connie and Pearl down, and Zeke decides to partake in the Gem weapon training as well, with his own special weapon given to him by Pearl.
- We Need to Talk: Greg tells Steven, Connie, and Zeke the time where he and Rose had fused figuratively.
- Nightmare Hospital: Steven, Connie, Zeke, and Zeke's younger brother Jax witness more Cluster Gems and prepare to combat the horde, only after Connie first combats her loyalty with her mother's wishes.
- Steven's Birthday: Steven celebrates his birthday but is concerned about his futures with Connie and Zeke as his process of aging is unknown.
- Same Old World: Zeke returns to the barn and meets Lapis, developing a huge crush on her. He and Steven then help her find a new home.
- Too Short to Ride: Steven, Amethyst, Zeke, Jax, and Peridot attend Beach City Funland, only for the latter to discover her limitations after some awkward endeavors.
- Beach City Drift: Steven and Connie, after witnessing Kevin and his narcissism, set out to put him in his place as Stevonnie by beating him in a race, with Zeke and his older brother Vinnie assisting them as wingmen.
- Alone at Sea: Steven, Greg, Zeke, his older brothers Vinnie and Frankie, and Lapis all venture into the sea on a newly bought boat to go fishing. However, the destination being the ocean has Lapis recollect her history as Malachite.
- Gem Hunt: Steven, Connie, and Zeke set out with Pearl on their first mission together to find a new sighting of corrupted Gems. Along the way, they encounter a familiar but terrifying face.
- Crack the Whip: Garnet and Pearl search for Jasper after hearing Steven, Connie, and Zeke's encounter with them in the last episode. Amethyst is told to watch the three and keep them safe, only to learn after a surprise visit her previously underestimated limitations.
- Buddy's Book (mentioned): Zeke helps out at his family's restaurant.
- Mindful Education: Steven and Connie are educated by Garnet on how to face their issues and solve their problem in maintaining the harmony in their fusion as Stevonnie, with Zeke alongside as additional support
- Gem Harvest (mentioned): Zeke gifts Lapis a new locket.
- Steven's Dream: Zeke appears alongside Connie when Steven confronts the Gems about keeping secrets from him.
- Adventures in Light Distortion (mentioned): Steven instructs Connie and Zeke to look after Beach City while he the Gems chase after his dad and Blue Diamond.
- The New Crystal Gems: Connie, Zeke, Lapis, Peridot, and Pumpkin form the Crystal Temps to occupy the Crystal Gems' absence from Earth.
- Storm in the Room: Zeke returns home for dinner at the start.
- Rocknaldo (cameo): Zeke leaves after hanging out with Steven and Connie.
- Doug Out (cameo): Zeke, out of town for a martial arts tournament, briefly calls Steven and Connie at the beginning.
- Are You My Dad?/I Am My Mom: Steven, Connie, and Zeke try to discover why people are disappearing from Beach City./The Crystal Gems try to stop the kidnappers' plans, while Steven makes an extreme decision.
- Lars' Head (cameo): Zeke appears alongside the Gems, Connie, and Greg, and hugs Steven upon seeing his return.
- Dewey Wins: Steven falls out with Connie and Zeke over his surrender to Homeworld, and Steven helps Mayor Dewey run for re-election as Mayor of Beach City against Nanefua Pizza.
- Gemcation (mentioned): As Steven struggles to deal with his estrangement from his best friends, Greg and the Gems, thinking that Steven is upset about what happened in space, take him on a vacation to cheer him up.
- Raising the Barn (pictured and mentioned): After finding out that Steven faced the Diamonds, Lapis Lazuli flees from the Earth and takes the Barn with her to avoid another war, also breaking off her semi-relationship with Zeke in the process. Meanwhile, Steven and Peridot search for Pumpkin, who goes missing.
- Kevin Party: Kevin throws a party, hoping that he can be seen hanging out with Stevonnie. As such, he invites Steven, Connie, and (begrudgingly) Zeke, allowing the three to reunite and reconcile.
- Lars of the Stars: Steven, Connie, Zeke, and Jax travel to visit Lars only to find he's now captain of the Off Colors and is fighting his way to Earth. In an attempt to help, the former two fuse into Stevonnie and, alongside the latter two, fly Lars' trio of custom-built starfighters, only to be shot down.
- Jungle Moon: Stevonnie, Zeke, and Jax crash on to a jungle moon where they fight for survival and uncover new secrets about Pink Diamond.
- Your Mother and Mine (mentioned): Steven mentions Zeke when discussing the events of "Jungle Moon"
- Can't Go Back: Steven and Zeke find Lapis on the moon and finds out that she has been watching both the latter and the Crystal Gems from a Diamond viewing device in the Moon Base. Just as the two are about to convice her to return, Steven has a vision of the Diamonds, causing Lapis to flee the moon and leave forever in a panic, much to Zeke's distress.
- Made of Honor (mentioned): Zeke is invited along with his entire family (including his two oldest brothers and their wives) to Ruby and Sapphire's wedding.
- Reunited: Zeke attends the wedding along with his entire family, and later participates in the battle against Blue and Yellow Diamond along with Steven, Connie, and the Crystal Gems. He also reunites with Lapis when she returns to help.
- Legs From Here to Homeworld: Zeke sticks with Steven, Connie, and the Crystal Gems as they show the Diamonds the effects of corruption and then goes with them all, along with Jax, to Homeworld to hopefully reason with White Diamond to help them.
- Familiar: Zeke re-appears at the end, along with Connie, Jax, Garnet, and Amethyst when Pearl smuggles them into Pink Diamond's palace via her Gem, re-uniting with Steven.
- Together Alone: Steven throws a royal ball for the chance to speak to White Diamond. However, he, Connie, the Falcos, and the Crystal Gems must follow the strict regulations of Homeworld. When White fails to attend, Steven steps out of bounds by dancing and fusing with Connie in front of the entire court, outraging his fellow Diamonds.
- Escapism: After he, Connie, Zeke, and Jax are imprisoned and the Crystal Gems are poofed, Steven uses his psychic powers to contact their friends on Earth for help, which is complicated when he ends up in the body of a Watermelon Steven.
- Change Your Mind: Blue Diamond breaks Steven, Connie, and the Falco boys out of the prison tower, but runs into trouble with Yellow. After they fight, Yellow changes her mind and helps them escape with the bubbled Crystal Gems. White Diamond intercepts them, and begins to fight. Bismuth, Peridot and Lapis Lazuli come to the rescue and help in the fight by using the repaired Diamond Ships.
- Gem Karaoke: Zeke sings karaoke alongside Steven, Connie, and the Gems.
- Fallout Shorts: Zeke and Connie deal with the aftermath of Steven's return and their fallout with him, and struggle to find a way to patch things up with him.
- Aftermath Shorts: Immediately after patching things up with Steven in "Kevin Party", Zeke and Connie go with him to his house on Lion to continue reconnecting. They learn of everything that's been going on the past few weeks – both the good and the bad.